Sunday, August 17, 2008

This'll get you pumped

Every year, right about late May or early June, I get whipped into a Cougar football frenzy. Just when a think I can't wait any longer, fall camp begins. And that's great for a week or so, but somewhere during Week 2 of fall camp, the itch for camp to end and the season to begin reaches unbearable levels.
Then came this exchange between Bronco Mendenhall and the media after Saturday's second fall camp scrimmage. If this doesn't get you pumped for Aug. 30, nothing will.

Greg Wrubell: "If you were a defensive coordinator lining up against (Dennis) Pitta and (Andrew) George week to week, your thoughts?"

Bronco: "Depends on if Harvey (Unga's) in the game or not. And if Harvey's in the game, you'll have problems."

Wrubell: "And you'll have Harvey in games."

Bronco: "Exactly right. So I think people are going to have problems."

Holy buckets. BYU's offense is going to be good. Scary good. Hearing this exchange sent me back to my the 2007 Cougar Diary highlight DVD. Then I put up my BYU flag outside my home (a tradition on Game Day) just to get a look at it. Then I got my kids pumped and educated for Aug. 30.

Less than two weeks to go. BYU. Northern Iowa. Lavell Edwards Stadium. It all begins. Our Quest shirts have arrived. DirecTV's been installed. It's go time.
I, for one, can't wait.

3 comments:

Triz said...

I'm with you 100%. With each day that passes my anticipation rises. Last year I woke up at 5 am on game day of the home opener because I was so excited. After blogging/researching in the morning and tailgating for 3 hours, I was spent by halftime of the actual game. I'm looking to pace myself a little more this year.

GO COUGS!

Ben E. said...

same here. I am so excited i can hardly contain myself. The hardest is going to be aug. 29 because it seems like it will take forever. But nothing beats college football saturday. I wake up at 7 am and watch college gameday on espn, then i catch a couple sec, big 10, big 12, and pac 10 games so i can move the time by faster so i can finally get to the game time. Hey guys, is it normal to talk in your sleep saying,"ra ra ra ra ra goooooooo cougers." Family members say i do that the night before a byu game, lol.

BYU/LDSConvert said...

I am excited also but I will be even more convinved about our offense's potential after our back-to-back games with Washington & UCLA. We had all those weapons last year against UCLA in Las Vegas & they basically shut us down in Las Vegas. In those two games against PAC10 athletes, and not before we will see how good we really are.