Thursday, July 3, 2008

Grandma created a monster

Train up a child in the team he should cheer for, and when he is old ...
That's a truth I believe in, which is why my children wear BYU apparel, have BYU posters on their walls and are taught from a young age to embrace the Cougars. We talk of the Cougs, we rejoice in the Cougs ...
And for most families, that's how it works. Father (and sometimes mother) pass along their love for this team or that and the children follow suit.
But my passion for BYU football and basketball didn't find its origins with Dad or Mom.
When I was 8 years old, my family moved to Orem, Utah, where we lived for a short time with my grandparents. My grandma is an avid sports fan. (This is a woman who once put John Stockton and Karl Malone's names on the prayer roll during the NBA playoffs).
My grandpa is not a sports fan. When grandma bought season tickets and finally convinced him to attend a game, he took a book and read the whole time.
So, grandma took me instead. My introduction to BYU football came during the days when Bob Jensen was under center. The years of attending Cougar games with grandma carried through to Ty Detmer's record-setting seasons.
And as the years rolled on, a monster was born. Like so many of you, I am obsessed with BYU football throughout the summer months. And Game Day is a special day at our house. Every member of the family dons Cougar clothing, no matter their age or interest.
But with 2008's first Game Day still two months away, I've returned to my usual method of coping.
Rewatching old games.
Each year I tape (and now DVR) every game I can. Losses are often taped over to save room. (Needless to say, I've taped over much of 2002-2004.)
Today, I rewatched BYU's season-opening win over Syracuse in 2002. Brett Engemann, Reno Mahe and Todd Christensen led the way in a 42-21 win that saw Matt Payne miss three extra points.
Want to watch BYU take on Georgia Tech in the 2003 opener? I've got it. How about the game at USC when BYU rallied within 21-18 before falling at the Coliseum. 2004's 41-24 win at Air Force? Got that too. There's also the 2004 opener against Notre Dame, the 2006 Vegas Bowl romp of Oregon, and, of course, the 2006 BYU-Utah game.
Yes, Harline is still open.
And 4th-and-18? It happened again at my house this week. Just another in a stack of VHS tapes that fills a shelf in the hall closet.
And it's all because of Grandma.
My Dad has mild interest in the Cougars. My mom pays them little attention. But Grandma planted a seed -- a seed that blossomed beyond all expectation.
Maybe some day life will take me back to Utah and I'll once again be a season ticket holder. If that day comes, I know just the person to invite to take the seat next me.
The one who started this whole thing in the first place.
Thanks Grandma.

(Note: If you have a story to share about who turned you in a Cougar fan, please leave your comments).

4 comments:

TOM said...

So what would I have to do to get copies of some of those games?

Clinton's Bloggin blog said...

share the love I need the 2006 Vegas bowl

Dana Christensen said...

I married a hot guy who loves the Cougars, that's what turned me into a fan!

Drew said...

Good job training up your children in the ways of BYU football. Apparently someone has been applying D&C 68:25 to his own life! Keep it up.