Saturday, July 26, 2008

'I didn't think it was possible'

As previously reported, I had the chance to have dinner at Legends Grille with BYU players Mitch Payne, David Nixon, Matt Bauman and Harvey Unga. The dinner was an early birthday surprise for my friend and fellow Cougar fan Troy Nield of Twin Falls, whose wife set up the event. The whole experience was a blast.

We ate, we visited, we laughed, we got a few autographs. And as the evening was winding down, Troy told me, "I didn't think it was possible to make me an even bigger fan. But this did it."

Why? Because BYU's players aren't just great athletes, they're great people. And great company. While Payne and Nixon came solo, Bauman brought his wife and Unga brought his fiancee. They were all gracious, cordial and very open with this room of 25 strangers.

Bronco Mendenhall says he loves walk-ons for their character and heart. Turns out his scholarship players possess the same. And that's the biggest reason BYU is 22-4 over the past two seasons and poised for a run at a BCS game. It's also one of the big reasons I am proud to be a BYU fan and a BYU alum. With players like Nixon, Bauman, Unga and Payne, the program is in good hands.

And like Troy, this week's dining experience left me a bigger fan than ever before.

Photo caption: Pictured, from left, Mitch Payne, David Nixon, birthday boy Troy Nield, Matt Bauman, Harvey Unga and me, Mike C., pose after dinner at Legends Grille.

3 comments:

Ben E. said...

Hi mike, I am a fan of your site and the insights your posts. I am starting my own blog about BYU football but in no way trying to impose upon your blog because your leaps and bounds above me. If you could link my sight to yours and check it out and tell me what you think. It's at eyeonbyu.com. Can't wait for your next post.

Mars said...

Still, no one believes your Unga quote.

Unknown said...

Don't wish to hijack the comments, but could you pass on a message to Troy?

If you could tell him that "es gibt ein man aus England der zieht sich wie ein Maedchen an" and that he can be reached at hurleyadam [at] hotmail [dot] com

That'd be great, I haven't been in touch with him for some 10 years and would love to catch up.

Best Regards,

Adam